Follow by Email

Sunday, 18 May 2014

Falling off the Bant-wagon


As the last slice of pizza disappears down the rabbit hole that is my oesophagus, I wipe the trickle of oil land sliding down my chin on my sleeve with slothenly delight. There are a number of fucks I don’t give right now and carbohydrate consequences just happen to be on the top of my hit list.

I must be the only curious vegetarian, correction - flexitarian, to venture down the Banting by-way but I like to give every diet its day. The high-fat, high-protein food plan banishes sugar and carbs from your refrigerator and the results are, for some, pretty epic. A lot of people have lost tons of weight on this diet and lurrrrve its allowances for cream, cheese, butter and beautiful bacon. I get it, I do. That’s why I gave it a whirl, hands up whose diet doesn’t need a bit of a revamp from time to time? Yep, thought so.

Here’s the thing… it’s not that I find this way of eating impossible, restricting as it may be for your average non-meat eater, it’s just too extreme (not to mention expensive) for me. I’m not sure why I keep running from the delicate and harmonious see-saw that moderates my enjoyment in life, but time and time again I find myself forgetting how important it is to master the art of balance.

Miyagi: "Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up go home. Understand?"

The old dude has a point but it’s easy to lose perspective if you are an all-or-nothing gal such as myself. When it comes to relationships, shopping sprees, blowing off steam or blazing the trail of a new career, I always go all in. My theory is that this actually stems from a deep-seated mistrust in the world, and it’s free-willed inhabitants. If it’s all on me, well then I guess I can control the outcome. Fat chance. Pun intended.

I’ve often used the metaphor of a wildebeest clambering up the sides of a muddy river bank to describe my current state – forging and fighting with all the strength I possess only to find that I haven’t moved forward but a centimetre. This is what happens when you reject the notion of surrender, hard-work’s opposing benefactor. I’m sorry blokes but I’m going Oprah, I gave you Karate Kid after all.

Oprah: “When you’ve worked as hard and done as much and strived and tried and given and pled and bargained and hoped…surrender. When you have done all that you can do, and there’s nothing left for you to do, give it up. Give it up to that thing that is greater than yourself, and let it then become a part of the flow.”


It’s an idea I clearly haven’t completely come to grips with, but one that will force your hand when it has to. This weekend I added a chunk of debt to my quivering credit card. Instead of going to my unpaid fine fund, the bounty paid for two can’t-live-without-em pairs of cowboy boots. My plans to catch up on work this Sunday, spiralled into 6 hours of frustrated writer’s block, which lifted only after I consumed a pint sized glass of box wine, had a mini-cry on My Guy’s shoulder and threw an impromptu pity party. One for which this blog, is the foot note to.

So I guess I’m trying to say that Banting or any extreme behaviour is never going to work in the long term for me, or maybe you. I have to believe that anyone can have it all – happiness and fulfilment – if we learn not to fight the flow, or try to control that delicate balance that holds us all together.

1 comment:

  1. f#@XXck the flow I'm hanging on like an addict in full tilt... whether indulging or depriving !! now carly where did you get this whole all or nothing thing from :)

    ReplyDelete