Follow by Email

Thursday, 19 September 2013

Turkish Delights


A few of the many wonderful moments I had in Turkey!

The things that delighted me the most:

Apple tea
Floating on a turquoise crystal sea
Bohemian jewelry
Lentil soup
Travertines 
Giant peaches
Gypsy music
Ruins
Fruit wine
Crumbling stone amphitheaters
Pottery
Dates
Freshly baked bread
Belly dancing
Patios
Sharing
Raki
Colour

Treasures I picked up along the way:

Alis volat propriis: She flies with her own wings. - Latin  motto

"The beauty of our life is the fruit of love
In this meeting I hope you and I can share
The beauty of our art, our history and our culture
As we are all branches of a single tree, all travellers
And in reality it is the fruit of love
That brought the branch into being" - Shop owner, Konya

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” - Jack Kerouac

Some funny bits:

That time when... Mustafa, an old Turkish man playing a guitar in a tea shop, handed me his business card and asked me to email him. He introduced himself as a Wealth Manager. 

That time when... I was eating a roll of Menthos in bed and a worm found its way into my mouth. After 2 hours of hysterics and swearing off Menthos for life, we discovered it had come from the aircon above me. 

That time when... I slipped on my sandal walking out of a fish market and made it look like a pirrouette.

That time when... I was pulled up to dance at a Turkish folk evening and was trying to hold my top from falling down (unsuccessfully) while keeping beat and having a conversation with a traditionally dressed dancer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment